5 things every dad needs to do for his daughter:
For my Bachelor’s Degree I was required to take quite a few classes on family dynamics. My eyes were opened to the importance of a father in his child’s life. As my own father struggles with a degenerative disease, I spend quite a bit of time remembering all of the wonderful ways he has added to my life. By taking experiences from my own relationship with my father as well as watching my husband father our three daughters, I have come up with 5 things that every dad needs to do for his daughter.
- Hugs, hugs, hugs! – Children are in desperate need of physical touch. Positive physical touch from parents is proven to reduce stress and anxiety in children. It also is a great way to show love and affection. My husband loves to cuddle up with my girls on the couch to read or watch a movie when he gets home from work. My girls LOVE it!
- Rough play – Moms are typically gentler and play softer with their daughters. Even though it may make you mommas nervous, let your husband rough house with the kids. Little girls need this contrast in their lives for their physical and social development.
- Affirming words – Dads, let your daughters know that you are proud of their hard work. Let them know you think they are beautiful because of their kindness. Tell them that they are special to you and you love them. They need to hear those words.
- Quantity time – Although many people say that quality time is important, studies show that quantity time is even more important! Spend time with your daughters. When you take time for her, it shows her that she is a priority. Even if you are divorced from her mother or travel often for work…MAKE time. It doesn’t have to be museums and theme parks. Just being together even if it is a home is important. This will have lasting benefits as she grows. Spending time with your daughter will have a very positive effect on how she sees herself.
- Show her mother respect – Treating the mother of your daughter with respect, admiration and love will be one of the most important things you do for your daughter. This will teach her how she should be treated in a relationship. Your example WILL have an effect on her.
I know we are called Mommy Status, but we do know that dads are just as important in a child’s life. So daddys…have fun with your daughters and make sure to follow these tips!