As a new mom you will receive advice from everyone and their dog! Remember that many have been in your position before and may have great advice. Also keep in mind that age old saying, “different strokes for different folks”. With all the tips, there are a few ideas that come up again and again whenever advice is given.
What was your most frequently received piece of advice during pregnancy/new motherhood? Here are 8 pieces of advice new moms are guaranteed to hear:
- Sleep whenever your baby sleeps. I could do that…IF my baby just slept through the night when normal people sleep! I’d be fine with a full nights rest, but my baby wants to sleep all day while I have to do grown-up things like pay the bills, cook, clean and maybe even shower.
- Enjoy every moment. I get that I need to enjoy my baby, I do. But do I have to enjoy EVERY moment? The middle of the night inconsolable tantrums, leaving my grocery cart in the middle of the isle and exiting the store because baby needs food NOW, and even the frequent diaper blow outs?
- Breastfeeding is best. It’s the “natural” way, they say. It’s natural to feel like a freakin’ cow?! And stress every minute if baby is getting enough or latching the correct way? It may be convenient and healthy, but it feels anything but natural.
- They are only little once. Thank goodness! As wonderful, exciting and sweet as it is, it is also extremely exhausting!
- Accept help when it’s offered. Sure, I’ll accept the mystery meat loaf from the neighbor, but I draw the line when long lost cousin Betsy (you know, the one you can smell coming a mile away and only has half her teeth?) offers to come hold the baby while I shower. via GIPHY
- You HAVE to get (insert some crazy gadget here). How long have babies been being born? And how long have wipe warmers and interactive night lights been around? Best to take time to research what gadgets will best fit your needs and lifestyle.
- Just trust your instincts. There are times as a mom that I most definitely should NOT trust my instincts.
- Take time for yourself. Okay, when?! In between feeding, laundry, cooking cleaning and bathing. Sure, why don’t you be in charge of watching my baby every afternoon so that I can have time to get my hair and nails done, get a massage and catch up with the girls at ladies bingo.